Saturday, October 21, 2006

Bees Wanted!

I have planted a couple of roses (red and yellow) spaced out at about ten feet from each other to attract bees and other insects to pollinate my vegetables. Some were self-pollinating like the beans and so they don't make me worry that much. I'm having trouble attracting bees as I only see a few of them and the roses have few flowers. The hummingbirds come visit once in a while but I'm not sure if they are attracted to tomato flowers. Have you heard that you can manually pollinate your tomatoes? Yes, you can! There are several ways. Attach a toothpick to your electric toothbrush using a rubberband and gently buzz the flowers. This mimics the buzz the bees make on the flowers. Some guy on the web said to do this around 10.00 AM to 11.30 AM when the pollen count is at its highest. I have to do more investigation about this. Some use Q-Tips or paint brushes. And who said they were using their vibrators? Hahaha!

No comments: