Sunday, February 03, 2008

How to Save Silk Floss Tree Seeds

Here is a Silk Floss tree that I started from seed a year ago. These trees grow 60 feet tall, 30 feet wide, and they have gray to green trunk with stout spines (thorns) and light green palmately compound leaves. Reason mine is growing in a container is I'm not quite ready yet for a 60-foot-tall tree in my backyard! I've noticed that most of it's leaves are turning yellow-brown and some are falling off. It is common sight during the winter season to lose it's leaves.
Here's a closer look at the spines. They look dark brown but they lose color when they mature.
Here is a Silk Floss tree fruit pod. Let the pod mature on the tree and wait until it turns brown. Mature pods usually drop off from the tree.
Carefully break open one end of the pod by using a shearing pruner.
Here is the woody shell of the pod.
And here is the cotton inside the pod.
Seeds after separating them from the cotton. Store and label them.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Hey Chuys - I'm wondering what process you followed to get the seeds to sprout. I'm trying to grow a silk floss tree - have gathered the seeds as pictured, soaked them in water for 24 hours, then planted them 1/2 in potting soil, keeping moist regularly. It has been about 2 weeks and nothing! What am I doing wrong? Can you give me any hints or advice as I am dying to grow one of these great trees. Thanks!

CHUYS said...

hey Jeff, They're so easy to germinate you don't even have to soak them in water. I have one extra seedling here and lots of seeds if you want LOL.