Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ginkgo Biloba

I have collected enough ginkgo seeds from the park where I walk my dogs. Most of the ginkgos there are females - the ones that produce the seeds. The male trees do not seed but they produce small pollen cones.

Right at this time of the year, you wont see any of their fan-shaped leaves as they lose it. This is also the right time to collect the seeds that have fallen on the ground (esp. after those hard rains we had last week) but be careful - its fleshy yellow-brown soft outer layer contains butanoic acid which smells like rancid butter or feces. Ewwww! Never pick them with your bare hands.

I've looked at most blogs and they've been talking about ginkgo bonsai. So I might try growing these seeds this summer. After I fleshed the seeds (again, use gloves) and washed them in water and dried under the sun, they are now in paper bags in the refrigerator. The seeds need sometime in there a process called stratification for 60 days.

Stratification improves germination, but is not required.

No comments: